Immediate Opening – Artistic Director
Redhouse Arts Center seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to lead its artistic department and programming.
Redhouse was founded under the vision of providing leading arts experiences to enhance the community. Since its founding in 2004, it has expanded with a leading focus on education and community impact.
The Artistic Director is a senior-level position that reports directly to the Executive Director and manages the artistic and production departments including four full-time staff members as well as part-time and hourly staff. As a member of Redhouse’s management team, the AD creates, articulates, and supervises the organization’s artistic vision and programming in accordance with the mission, vision and goals of Redhouse.
The AD works in conjunction with the Executive Director to establish and manage the artistic budget; collaborates with the Redhouse senior team to ensure consistent branding across the organization; and manages full-time and part-time artistic staff to execute programming.
The AD works in conjunction with the Executive Director to create a manageable budget; writes grant proposals and develops activities to further the goals of Redhouse’s artistic programming; participates with the marketing department to develop promotional and marketing materials; and collaborates with the Director of Education to ensure that all programs align to reflect and achieve the overall goals for each season.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with Executive Director to develop, implement, and evaluate artistic programs for the year.
- Participate in the development of the annual budget and manage to achieve the budget goals.
- Work with the Director of Education to ensure artistic and educational programming is aligned and cohesive with the mission and goals of Redhouse.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate production and artistic staff as well as contract personnel including directors, choreographers, performers, designers, actors and musicians working closely with the artistic team to ensure excellence in all aspects of production.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate key technical personnel, including Production Manager and Technical Director working closely with the production team to ensure excellence in all aspects of production.
- Develop and maintain quality in all Redhouse programs, staffing, and outreach.
- Serve as a public face of Redhouse, act as a spokesperson for the organization’s artistic purpose via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and, as requested, at fundraising events and solicitations.
- Maintain a visible leadership role in the community, presence and involvement in the national theatre community, and work closely with the Executive Director to fulfill and advance the mission of Redhouse.
- Foster the development of positive relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate locally, regionally and nationally.
- Reports to the Executive Director on a regular basis to give an update on artistic activity.
- Direct at least one MainStage Production and at least one in-house educational production per season.
- Liaise with staff to ensure facilities are properly maintained and equipped to meet programming needs.
- Research and select shows to present to the Executive Director and other Redhouse leaders for their input and vote on the upcoming season. The presentation of potential show materials should include summaries, sketches, justification and social relevance for selections.
- Facilitate all auditions and assists in all casting.
- Responsible for maintaining Redhouse brand across all productions.
- Ensure healthy participation in professional and local theater community and that Redhouse is compliant with all equity and other professional standards and requirements.
- Has ultimate oversight over shows and works with the individual directors as needed.
- Maintain accurate records for all client and artistic contracts.
- Ensure written procedures are maintained and available for technical and production staff.
- Generate reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Theater or related field, or commensurate experience plus minimum of 10+ years of progressive experience in a leading theatrical organization.
- Demonstrated strategic and leadership experience at a senior level, including experience leading a large team.
- Experience in planning, developing and implementing theatre and arts based programs.
- Experience working with children of all ages, those with disabilities, parents, and at-risk youth.
- Proven budgeting and financial management skills.
- Strong organizational, planning, writing and communication skills, including experience building community relationships.
- Impeccable integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail and be able to multi-task.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service and human relations skills.
- Leadership qualities and supervisory experience strongly desired.
- The ability to exercise good judgement and work independently.
- Technically savvy.
**Job applicants should submit their letter and resume to email@example.com**